Vela Creations is an in-depth resource for off grid living. The site documents our research and experiences, hoping that they might help others interested in pursuing this lifestyle. This blog is designed to document our day to day experiences as we build our new, sustainable homestead. If you are interested in seeing more photos and videos, we have a flickr account at the following url: http://flickr.com/photos/35090117@N05/collections/
Thursday, March 31, 2016
Wednesday, March 30, 2016
Tuesday, March 29, 2016
I hope y'all had a beautiful Easter weekend! Saturday I got pruned some trees in the orchard. This video is about pruning my peach tree. The "surprise" at the end is a little experiment I'm doing comparing two Peach trees... one pruned, one not.
Monday, March 28, 2016
Sunday, March 27, 2016
Saturday, March 26, 2016
Thursday, March 24, 2016
Wednesday, March 23, 2016
Tuesday, March 22, 2016
Monday, March 21, 2016
Sunday, March 20, 2016
Saturday, March 19, 2016
Friday, March 18, 2016
Tuesday, March 15, 2016
Monday, March 14, 2016
Sunday, March 13, 2016
Saturday, March 12, 2016
Friday, March 11, 2016
Thursday, March 10, 2016
Wednesday, March 9, 2016
For the past few weeks, we've been having highs of 90 degrees. As soon as the boys get back from school, they change into shorts (no T-shirts even!). All of our peach trees have bloomed, as well as almonds and some of the pears and plums. And now, all of a sudden, a front moved in and we are covered with snow.
It's the most snow we've had here, and the boys got to make their first ever snowman!
Tuesday, March 8, 2016
Monday, March 7, 2016
Sunday, March 6, 2016
Moringa Oleifera trees - fast growing and highly nutritious food trees, with leaves like spinach, edible seed pods, rich in vitamins and minerals, and with healing, medicinal, and other benefits and uses
How to Make a Gourd Water Bottle: This looks like a really cool project. Maybe something you could sell at a farmers market or on etsy
Saturday, March 5, 2016
Science Has Found a Brilliant New Use for Your Kitchen Scraps - Turns out, dumping compost on grasslands can do a surprising amount for the planet.
Friday, March 4, 2016
Thursday, March 3, 2016
Wednesday, March 2, 2016
- ► 2017 (365)
- Gustav Mahler
- Intercropping with Nature – 4 Popular Plant Growin...
- Market Gardening: How to Make a Living on 1.5 Acre...
- The 3D's (David, Daniel & Darren) to 'Swale or not...
- Easter 2016
- Annie Dillard
- Blaise Pascal
- Intro to Permaculture Design - Canvas Network | Fr...
- How to Make Coppa - A Step by Step Visual Guide
- I hope y'all had a beautiful Easter weekend! Satur...
- The Curse of the Bradford Pear
- Edouard Manet
- Ellsworth Huntington
- Top 3 Reasons Americans are Flocking to Raise Back...
- Biodegradable algae water bottles provide a green ...
- Why I quit my office job to become a farmer
- Build your own backyard pond for raising lovely ko...
- Mushroom hunters in the states: A map that shows w...
- How To Light Your Home Off Grid.
- Hatching Chicken Eggs using an Artifical Incubator...
- A Case For Fish Farming
- Maryland to Become First State to Ban Bee-Killing ...
- Why The Future Farmers Of North America Are Turnin...
- Easy DIY PVC Chicken Waterer
- Jean Paul
- Georges Simenon
- John Dryden
- Laurence Sterne
- Thomas Carlyle
- Producing twelve gallons of worm castings each mon...
- DIY Vertical Onion Planter
- Excellent chicken coup door opening and closing me...
- Sepp Holzer's Mountain Permaculture Farm
- 12 Beneficial Insects for Your Permaculture Plot
- California Farmers and Ranchers Prepare to Turn Mo...
- Matthew Arnold
- Thomas Browne
- The All-Native Edible Forest Garden: Eastern Fores...
- Small is Beautiful: We Don't Need to Go Big To Cre...
- Urban farming utopia in India produces more energy...
- Grubblies Free Sample
- You can't grow everything and that's why we invent...
- . DIY Re-Purposing a Carport into a Greenhouse
- $150 bike camper: DIY micro mobile home
- Off-the-grid shipping container home
- 6 Best Farm Animals to Raise When You're Just Star...
- Tom Allen
- Saint Augustine
- Pierre Schaeffer
- Max Beerbohm
- Luther Burbank
- John Keats
- Jean-Jacques Rousseau
- James Montgomery
- Permaculture Food Forest Course On Galiano Island ...
- Old-school permaculture in action! The whole serie...
- An Afternoon with Alan (Mushroom) Kapuler
- No Ocean? No Problem! Indoor Shrimp Farming Takes ...
- Factory farming divestment: what you need to know
- Urban Aquaponic Farmer and Chef Redefines Local Fo...
- Urban Beekeeping Has Come to LA
- Moringa Oleifera trees - fast growing and highly n...
- Foraging: Wild Onions
- How to Make a Gourd Water Bottle: This looks like ...
- Lemon Dill Pickled Beets. Great tasty way to prese...
- H. P. Lovecraft
- Science Has Found a Brilliant New Use for Your Kit...
- First Year Off Grid Living in an RV: Our Water Sol...
- If you have Barn Owls than you may have some money...
- 17 Tips For Going Off Grid! Do What You Love & Sto...
- Friedrich Schiller
- Elbert Hubbard
- Edmund Burke
- Anthony J. D'Angelo
- ▼ March (77)
- ► 2015 (875)
- ► 2014 (275)
- ► 2012 (66)
- ► 2011 (78)
- ► 2010 (65)