Vela Creations is an in-depth resource for off grid living. The site documents our research and experiences, hoping that they might help others interested in pursuing this lifestyle. This blog is designed to document our day to day experiences as we build our new, sustainable homestead. If you are interested in seeing more photos and videos, we have a flickr account at the following url: http://flickr.com/photos/35090117@N05/collections/

Monday, February 24, 2014

Fur Handbag


Fur Handbag


I made myself a little present this weekend, and it turned out absolutely beautiful.




I have never been much of a handbag person. However, life as a mother has changed certain aspects of my life. I no longer like to leave the house without a few things I might need. Money and phone are no-brainers, in case something happens to the truck. I need keys to open the gate to a property I drive through to get to the village. A camera is often on the list. The Nexus 7 is a useful addition, in case I need to keep Nicky entertained while I talk to someone, or in case someone asks about something we do (I keep all our how-tos and photos on the tablet, as people often approach me for information and it helps to have it handy). Plus there's the essential diaper wipes and a change of clothes for Nicky. Although he's been out of diapers for a long time now, he still has the tendency to do things like roll around in a muddy puddle or play in the water fountain at Leo's Kindergarten, so it pays to be prepared.


[flickr set=72157641262580153 photo=6]


Anyway, I decided it was time to make myself a custom bag. It has padded pockets for the more fragile items (tablet, phone and camera), a built-in wallet (with notes, coins and card compartments), elastic to hold things like a pen and limp balm, a hemp key chain I made a while back. And the most important thing - the exterior consists of our own tanned rabbit furs, while the strap and base are made out of a leather a local cowman makes. It is exquisite. I find myself spending more time than I should petting my bag!


{loadposition adsense}


It could probably have been a little bigger. When I was figuring out all the sizes, I forgot to take into account the space that would be lost through the padding of the pocket in the center and on one side. It seems like I learn something new on every thing I do. But still, it works great as is and I'm very happy with it.







Fur Handbag

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive